ACCESSIBLE // easy of access or approach; approachable; as, an accessible town or mountain, an accessible person.
ADVENTURE // an unusual and exciting exploration of unknown territory.
A Kentucky Getaway to our area boasts some of the best accessible adventure to be found. Here’s some highlights.
ACCESSIBLE TOUR AT MAMMOTH CAVE NATIONAL PARK
- Mammoth Cave National Park offers one of the nation’s few accessible cave tours, although this tour is temporarily closed for cave renovation. Park anticipates the accessible tour will reopen in the fall of 2020. The park also offers miles of accessible trails for families with strollers and those with disabilities alike. The park’s newest accessible trail is the Echo River Springs Trail that features a “blue hole.” To learn more about all the park offers click here
- Hidden River Cave in downtown Horse Cave offers an elevator and sidewalk down to the mouth of the cave. And while you’re there be sure to check out the adjacant American Cave & Karst Museum, plus all the nice shopping and eating in downtown Horse Cave.
- Kentucky Down Under is a truly interactive zoo in our area and they offer golf carts for touring their entire property. Even the kangaroo enclosure includes a sidewalk loop so you can get up close and personal with the kangaroos!!
ECHO RIVER TRAIL AT MAMMOTH CAVE NATIONAL PARK
Our local Trail Towns, Munfordville and Cave City/Horse Cave also offer accessible trails within their city limits.
- Maple Avenue Park in downtown Horse Cave is 1/3 of a mile and you can trace the path of Hidden River Cave along the way as the aggregate changes to reveal the path of the cave below.
- The Green River Park & Arboretum in Munfordville offers a .75 mile trail on the perimeter of the park and an additional cut through path that can give you several combinations of length depending on which way you go. This path is completely accessible and includes placards along the way with various river and area information.
- Both towns also offer historical walking tours as you stroll about.
KENTUCKY DOWN UNDER
SLOAN’S POND TRAIL AT MAMMOTH CAVE NATIONAL PARK
HIDDEN RIVER CAVE IN DOWNTOWN HORSE CAVE
MAPLE AVENUE SPRINGS TRAIL AT HORSE CAVE